This is no longer where my blog lives, please go to www.hannahnicklin.com to view my current one

(you can view all of my old posts there too)


4.11.08

London, still.

Another day, another savagely late post. Apologies to the very few people who read this blog! I am very hard up for time, again. I was away all last week, and am mostly catching up.

Next week for the RC we have individual 1/2 hour tutorials to discuss potential ideas for our new play, so I need to sort out my ideas in my head (I have a couple of srtongish- impressions which I am considering combining if possible). I went the the V&A museum yesterday with my spare London-time - it was good, but I think after a while my brains topped taking in the beautiful objects.

In other news, I am bloody fed up of having wet feet, so I am selling a piece of spare PC stuff in order to buy a pair of boots.

I read all of the previously mentioned plays (see below), as well as Caryl Churchill's Drunk Enough to say I Love You (which puts the Bush/Blair relationship as a stilted relationship between two gay lovers) and found them all very different but each very valuable in terms of different styles of writing theatre (as I'm sure was intended). I think I found Woyczeck the most stylistically interesting, but (as usual) struggled with most of the female characters, or messages about women in all the plays (except those in A Raisin in the Sun) -it's not to say that bad, mean, unthinking, singularily sexualised women don't exist, but they are others too... A thought for another day perhaps. When you write for an under-represented group, you are almost always 'representing' not just 'portraying', doubly so in A Raisin in the Sun - another reason why that play is so astonishing. Do read it. I wish I could see it, I think it would have quite a transformative feeling/effect.

Anyway, must get on. Need to formulate ideas for my new play, tentaively titled Eismas/Mine.

tataa! Hxx

3 comments:

Lucy Ann Wade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy Ann Wade said...

There's a recent film of A Raisin in the Sun you could watch - it stars Puff Daddy though, so not sure how good it will be...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raisin-Sun-Sean-Diddy-Combs/dp/B0015GQ3FO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225982039&sr=1-1

Hannah said...

oooh, thanks!